As I reported on Pharma Marketing Blog, Peter Rost -- who has made a reputation as whistle blower, muckraker, and Pfizer nemesis -- holds the lead in my "Who Should Obama Nominate for FDA Commissioner?" survey (see "Meet the Person Likely to be the Next FDA Commissioner").
Today, I received a note from Rost that reproduced email he received from U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and U.S. Representative Jo Ann Emerson that promised they would deliver a letter to the appropriate person on the Obama transition team recommending Rost be nominated as FDA Commissioner! See "U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and U.S. Representative Jo Ann Emerson support Dr. Rost for FDA Commissioner" on Rost's blog site. [That's Sen. Brown in the photo on the left.]
Cary Byrd over at eDrugSearch Blog also endorses Rost for FDA Commissioner and has published an interview with Rost here: "Q&A with Dr. Peter Rost, eDrugSearch.com’s choice for FDA commissioner".
If Rost does become FDA Commissioner, he owes me big time!
I started the "Rost for FDA Commissioner" campaign when I reported that "FDA Intern Supports Peter Rost for New FDA Commish!" back in early November (read the history here).
If Rost does become FDA Commissioner, I am dead to the pharma industry!
Just for the record, I personally endorse Susan Wood (see "Susan Wood: "The One to Take the Lead" of the FDA"). I have corresponded with Ms. Wood and asked her to respond to the following questions:
- Should the FDA be given authority to control tobacco and nicotine as a drug?
- Should the FDA have more resources and use them to bolster inspections of imported food and drug products and allow re-importation of cheaper Rx drugs?
- Should the FDA be given authority to review and approve generic versions of biologic drugs?
- Should the FDA preemption of consumer lawsuits against drug companies be eliminated?
- (my favorite) Should the FDA issue specific guidance on the use of the Internet for the promotion of Rx drugs?
NOTE: Among respondents to my survey who say they are very or somewhat supportive of the pharmaceutical industry, Rost comes in 5th behind Nissen, Wood, Woodcock, and Califf.
Take the survey here and vote for your choice.